Tuesday 25 February 2014

Sepia Saturday 217 : 1 March 2014


Once again hats feature in our Sepia Saturday theme image, but this week let's take our hats off and see what else there is in the picture. Well there is a telescope and there is a mountain and there are three great composers (yes Mike Brubaker, your Christmas and Birthday have come all at once!). The picture, which was taken around 1900, shows Julius Röntgen, Frants Beyer & Edvard Grieg on Mount Løvstakken in Norway. If all that music and that weighty telescope is not enough for you, you might want to note that as well as composing music, Frants Beyer was also a tax inspector and therefore you might want to scan your grandad's tax returns and submit them to the Sepia Exchequer. However you decide to interpret this fine old photograph (which comes from the collection of Bergan Public Library on Flickr Commons), just post your post on or around Saturday 1 March 2014, link it to the list below and take a look to see what else you can see on the Sepia Saturday Blog.

But first of all take a look at what is coming in the weeks ahead:



Sepia Saturday 218 - 8 March 2014 : Fences, backyards and Bubonic Plague are amongst the possible themes from this prompt (With thanks to Wendy Mathias).



Sepia Saturday 219 - 15 March : Domes, ceilings, arches, significant buildings (Again with thanks to Wendy Mathias - and if anyone else has suggestions for themes let me have them, preferably copyright-free images)

So, to the haunting refrains of the Peer Gynt Suite, get out your sepia telescopes and see what you might have to offer for Sepia Saturday 217.


s to the Edvard Grieg Archives at Bergen Public Library

25 comments:

ScotSue said...

I am quick off the mark this week with some rocky memories. So do take a tour and follow in my footsteps.

Barbara Rogers said...

Rocks and Mountains near my home...not sepia I'm afraid!

Kristin said...

4 men in hats throwing rocks on ice, about an hour north of Detroit, about 1939.

Jofeath said...

Hung back last night so as not to be first at the top of the hill, and succeeded!

La Nightingail said...

Sticking pretty much to the obvious this week by concentrating on the tools but with a bit of a side trip.

Jackie van Bergen said...

I've been absent from SS for a couple of weeks due to travel but back with a vengeance and a whole lot of rocks this week.

Bob Scotney said...

I had a flat in Norway for almost 10 years and knew Bergen well.

Postcardy said...

Mountains, music, and more.

Brett Payne said...

I'm back, and right on theme this week at least

Wendy said...

I might have a telescope, but I might not.

Boobook said...

A favourite rocky spot.

Alan Burnett said...

Discover the secrets of Averlenture - exclusive to Sepia Saturday.

21 Wits said...

Hello again, I have no actual telescope, but my scope continues none the less!

Unknown said...

Chhising from a trip on the rocks to share; will be up in a few hours...no telescopes here.

DougVernX said...

I'm using a different kind of telescope to "see" things this week.

Mike Brubaker said...

Grieg I knew of course, but Röntgen and Beyer are strangers. So I chose two more familiar composers.

Tattered and Lost said...

A family that rock climbed with style.

Alex Daw said...

Am pleased as punch to have found a photo of a telescope in my collection.

Anonymous said...

Climbing the rocks which were the site of the movie Picnic at Hanging Rock.

Rosie said...

Plumbing pipes put to good use????

Little Nell said...

A childhood telescope gets discovered this week.

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

I found another three men who were nearly candidates for last week.

Sean Bentley said...

Scoping out Italian wildlife in my alternate blog this week...

Jackie van Bergen said...

A second one from me this week - so many great photos I couldn't resist!

Emily E said...

I haven't posted anything for Sepia Saturday for far too long! Sorry if it's a bit late.